Friday, January 14, 2011

Review: Homeport Blonde, Scuttlebutt Brewery

I've had this review sitting in my drafts for awhile, so I figure I'll post it tonight.

Scuttlebutt has some interesting aesthetic qualities.  The name is different, as is the logo: a mermaid fixed over the letter S. It's a pretty cool bottle, I like it a lot.

I was surprised by what I found when I poured the beer.  "Homeport Blonde" and the low alcohol content suggest a lighter beer than this to me.  The beer has a dark golden color.  When I smelled it I got some citrus and floral smells. 

Like I expected based on the smell, it's stronger tasting than I expected for a beer that's only 4.6% alcohol by volume.  Still, it doesn't have a ton of flavor and is a pretty small step up from macro beers.

If you're looking for a drinkable beer, this is it.  Additionally, it's got a pretty cool bottle that will look good on the wall if it winds up making the cut.  With that said there's not a ton of flavor, so I would give it a C.

Have you had Homeport Blonde? Do you agree with my take? Let us know in the comments.

Additional Info:
Homeport Blonde on Scuttlebutt Website
Homeport Blonde on Beer Advocate
Homeport Blonde on Rate Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment