Saturday, January 1, 2011

Adventures with beer: Brennan's Market

Some of the best beer adventures come when you're not even looking for the stuff.

Last week my dad came home from Brennan's Food Market in Madison, Wisconsin. He bought  a couple bricks of cheese, a pound of potato salad and a beer called Schockolade Bock made by Millstream Brewing in Amana, Iowa.  I asked him about it, since I haven't seen many (or maybe any) beers from Iowa when I've looked at the selection at grocery stores in Milwaukee.

He told me that when he was looking at the beer there, they had a lot of different stuff.  Naturally, I had to take a look.  We hopped in the car and headed over.  I came home with a mixed 6 pack of little known craft brews.  Included in the mixed 6 were 2 beers that I'm planning on buying pretty regularly when I get a chance.  The best part of Brennan's is that all of their interesting mixed six packs are just $7.99.

Here's a list of the stuff I got in my mixed six pack:

John's Generations White Ale by Millstream Brewing Co. (a very good white ale flavored with orange peel and coriander--think Blue Moon, but a lot better)
Avery Brewing's White Rascal (another that I really liked, a white ale made with orange peel and coriander, but completely different tasting than the standard "white ale" flavor)
Beltian White Ale by Harvest Moon (a good white ale, once again in the style of Blue Moon.  Worth a try)
Tommyknocker's Jack Whacker Wheat Ale (a good white ale flavored with lemongrass)
Wild Fly Ale by Yellowstone Valley Brewing Co. (a decent Amber Ale...not sure why it's called a Pale Ale on Beer Advocate)
Scuttlebutt Homeport Blonde (a Blonde Ale, very drinkable...take that however you want, bu)

While the selection isn't the best it's certainly interesting, and some of the lesser known brews are damn good.  If you get a chance, I'd recommend you check out Brennan's.

Additional info:
Brennan's homepage...though there's nothing about the beer.

Let us know about your favorite Hidden Beer Spots in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment