Monday, January 10, 2011

Finding the REAL Budweiser

Awhile back, the441 voted unanimously to make finding Budweiser Budvar (known in the states as Czechvar) a priority, despite our rules that technically made anything "Budweiser" illegal. 

Budweiser Budvar is a Czech beer that began brewing in 1785, and began exporting it's beer to the United States in 1871.  Five years later, Anheuser-Busch began producing the Budweiser that Americans know today.  Shortly after that, the beer hating assholes wonderful people at  Anheuser-Busch trademarked the name in the United States and Canada.  Budweiser Budvar was forced to sell its product as Czechvar, and international naming rights battles began.

Hey, any enemy of Anheuser-Busch is a friend of ours.

I was at Woodman's West today and I found that they carry six packs of Czechvar.  I didn't have money to buy it because I was at Woodman's to buy food (I've been stealing my dad's Maibocks all week and my beer supply is still pretty well stocked, so I didn't need to buy anything) but they had quite a few six packs.  I don't think finding it will be very hard to do.

Next order of business? Finding a REAL bottle of Budweiser Budvar.  Who's up for a European vacation?

If that's not an option, we might try to find this little gem.

Have you had Czechvar? Got a beer for us to hunt for? Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment