Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Beer of (NFC) Champions

My first experience with Blonde Doppelbock occurred when The Wall was in its infant stages.  I saw a couple in the fridge at my parents' house, and figured that I'd grab one and try it when I got to Milwaukee.  My dad told me that "it was one of his favorites, but it would probably be too strong for me."  He couldn't have been more wrong.

The first beer I truly loved
This past Halloween I went to State Street and made a stop at Opa, a little bar that's a favorite of a few friends of mine in Madison.  After that visit, I have my own reasons for loving the place: Capital Blonde Doppelbock for four dollars.  Up to that point, I hadn't really had beers that I felt tasted good enough that I would drink them even if they were non-alcoholic.  Capital Blonde changed that.  Getting it for 4 dollars (the same price that they sell Blue Moon for) was a ridiculous steal by bar pricing standards.  When I've seen Blonde in other bars it's typically between 5 and 6 dollars.

The bottle I got that night is the one on display on our wall (although according to some bartenders, taking the empty bottle might've been against the law because of open bottle laws? Oops)

After that, I had my dad keep an eye out for it at Woodman's (where Capital is far cheaper than any other beer.  He bought a six pack, along with what he thought was his house beer: Hacker Pschorr Weisse.  Unfortunately, it turns out that it was actually Hacker Pschorr's Oktoberfest.  He swapped four of the Blondes for Oktoberfests, thinking I wouldn't notice.  If he weren't helping me get through college debt-free, that might have been an unforgivable offense.

My favorite memory with Blonde came Sunday shortly after the NFC Championship Game.  Those two bottles that my dad was kind enough not to switch out for beer he thought sucked? I've been saving them since I got them in November.  I wanted to keep them for a special occasion, and I can't think of many days coming up that would be better to drink one of the bottles than in the aftermath of the NFC Championship.

All in all, Capital Blonde is my favorite beer.  I give it an A+

Next up? The Super Bowl.  Then (with a little luck) Bockfest 2011

Have you had Blonde Doppelbock? Do you agree with my take? Let us know in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. Bockfest, eh? I like.

    Leinie's Bock along with some Johnsonville brats made up part of my spread for Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice...haven't gotten around to Leinie's Bock yet, but anything Wisconsin during the Super Bowl sounds good to me! haha

    Have you ever had any of Capital's bocks? if not, i'd say they're a MUST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome and nice...http://www.nfcbusinesscards.us/nfc-tickets/

    ReplyDelete