Thursday, January 6, 2011

Brew Masters Cancelled

Well, so much for my attempted pimping of Brew Masters.

According to the Twitterverse, it looks like the Discovery Channel's show Brew Masters won't be returning for another season.

The Beer & Whiskey Brothers blog is the source of the commotion.

Well this just sucks.  I have it on good authority that Sam Calagione’s Brew Masters has been pulled from the air after just a handful of episodes.  It was good to see craft beer on TV while it lasted I guess. 
While the show was well-received by beer geeks, the general public was lukewarm about it.  I’m sure the fact that Brew Masters was moved from Sunday to Monday to Thursday didn’t help.
I’ve shared my thoughts about the things the show had working against it, but Don and I still hoped that it would be a hit, so it would pave the way for copycat shows, perhaps ones starring feuding brothers (one of whom is quite witty and handsome).
At any rate, we raise our glasses to Sam and the folks at Dogfish Head for giving it their best shot.  We hope that Dogfish Head will continue to prosper because of the attention the show brought them – they are a wonderful gateway into the universe of good beer.
I know that the craft beer world is better off for having Brew Masters on TV, I only wish the ride were much, much longer.
CLARIFICATION: There’s some conflicting info out there, so I want to clarify what we’re saying here.  There will be no new episodes shot, but Discovery may air the sixth and final episode this spring (it’s the “additional content” they say they’re working on) and possible rerun the series.  But there will be no new shows and for all intents and purposes the show is done. Which again is a huge bummer. :(

Changing the schedule multiple times didn't help the show.  I sometimes had trouble finding it when it was on and I was actively looking for it.

Oh well, I guess more shows about pawnshops, truck drivers and Alaska can fill it's spot and I can go back to ignoring the channel except for the occasional episode of MythBusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment