Thursday, January 27, 2011

The most resilient bottle in the collection

With the second bottle review on The Wall, I've decided to go with one of the bottles most likely to be removed.  Originally, Shock Top was grouped with Miller Chill, Point Special and all the other beers that never had a shot at making it into our Top 100.  After all, it's just Anheuser-Busch's version of Blue Moon.
From

We started to reconsider the decision when a Bud Light ad came on.  We have a rule in the441 that you can't drink after an Anheuser-Busch ad until you see an ad from any other beer company.  What we wound up doing was unintentionally boosting the value of Anheuser-Busch products.  I had a few bottles of Shock Top left from the six pack of it that I drank and we decided that since they're the same company, an ad from Anheuser-Busch can't be used as a reason not to drink Michelob.  Plus, if it were made by a different company I probably wouldn't consider Shock Top to be all that bad.

Someday, I intend to start homebrewing.  One of the expenses that comes with homebrewing is purchasing bottles.  While most products by MillerCoors and Anheuser-Busch have twist-off tops, Shock Top has pry-offs.  I threw the bottle of Shock Top into a sink full of hot water and peeled the label right off.  Not only does the stuff allow us to maneuver around our drinking game rules, but it allows me to save money down the road!  Way to go Shock Top!  For that, we wound up cutting a beer that would probably be a lot higher on the list to keep it.

While Shock Top the beer is nothing exceptional, it's surprisingly useful.  I'd probably give the beer about a C, but factoring in everything it gets a B- from me.

Have you had Shock Top? Do you agree with my take? Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment