Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Adventures with Beer: Woodman's West

For the second installment of Adventures with Beer, I'd like to talk about Woodman's West in Madison, Wisconsin. Woodman's is great for its ridiculous commercials, low prices, and EXCELLENT beer selection.

Woodman's has a huge selection of microbrews.  My camera cord is at my apartment in Milwaukee for the time being, but when I get a chance I'll upload a picture of the wall that's dedicated entirely to 12 oz. bottles of micros (or 16 oz. in Sprecher's case).  Across from this wall there's a section that has some larger sized bottles of micros, and a section of imports.

The selection for mixed six packs at Woodman's varies greatly from week to week.  Sometimes it's tough to find six bottles worth buying.  Other days (like today), not even the fact that The Wall excludes over 100 different types of beer from consideration can keep me from finding six I'm excited to try.

Today's haul included the following:
The Big O--O'so Brewing
Hopdinger--O'so
Doggie Style Pale Ale--Flying Dog
Hopalicious--Ale Asylum
Wisconsin Bock--New Glarus
Big Easy Imperial Maibock--Lakefront

I've had a couple of these before (Hopalicious and Wisconsin Bock), but we need the bottles on the wall so I jumped at the chance to pick them up.  Flying dog is a fun company that makes good beer, so that was a pretty easy decision.  I've been looking for The Big O for awhile, and Hopdinger sounds like it'll be a solid selection.  Finally, I live right down the street from Lakefront in Milwaukee and I tend to really like lighter bocks.  Plus, nothing says spring seasonal like 3 inches of fresh snow.

On one trip to the store, I really lucked out--somehow a few bottles of Raison D'Etre by Dogfish Head found their way into the mixed six selection.  A few weeks later I found out that those bottles were supposed to be $7.99.  Heh...whoops.

Woodman's West is Wisconsin's Mecca of beer; if you live in the state and love beer, you need to make at least one pilgrimage there in your life. 

Have you been to Woodman's West? Agree with my take? (That was a rhetorical question, of course you agree) Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment