Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"What were you drinking when...?"

There are certain events that are so big that you remember forever exactly where you were when they happened.

I've only been 21 for a little over a year, and I already know that for a lot of these instances I'll remember exactly what I was drinking too.

Belgians know beer
On May 1, I was at Comet Cafe with my roommate when our waitress asked us if we'd like to go to the side of the restaurant that had a T.V.  We had been there many times and this had never happened, so we were a little puzzled.  While everyone else was reading that there was going to be a speech from President Obama about a "matter of national security", all we had heard was that the President was going to speak.  Obama had several speeches scheduled on nights we went to eat at Comet and none of them had ever generated as much of a reaction, so we decided to go check out what all the excitement was about.

We walked over to the other side of the restaurant right as the cameras cut to a shot of the President walking up to the podium.  Our jaws dropped as it was announced that the Navy Seals had killed bin Laden.

Anyway, on to the beer.  That night I drank a Delerium Tremens.  I'd had Nocturnum and loved it, so I figured I'd try another beer by the same brewery.

Tremens is a great Belgian Strong Pale Ale.  It's very smooth and has a pretty intricate fruit flavoring.  It's got a high alcohol content, but you'd never know that from the flavor of the beer.  This is one that would definitely qualify as "dangerous". 

After drinking Nocturnum, my expectations were high, and fortunately this beer was actually able to meet those expectations.  I would give it an A.  It's not going to get front shelf placement on The Wall because Nocturnum's already there and I like the label more, but it's a damn good beer.

Delerium Tremens on Beer Advocate
Delerium Tremens on RateBeer
Delerium's take on Tremens


And for the record, no: I didn't ever think I'd tag a post with both Delerium Tremens and Osama bin Laden.

Have you had Delerium Tremens? Agree with my take? Let us know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. The first time I had DT - possibly before I was of age but more than likely just over - I found it so strong that I cut it with water.

    It was the first Belgian I ever drank, and in the land of Natty Boh, that was a radical departure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...yeah, the first beer I ever drank was a Hacker Pschorr Weisse, and I had to do the same thing...fortunately, I didn't get around to this one until i was pretty seasoned.

    ReplyDelete