Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I should have known better

Last night I made a terrible decision.

With the Oklahoma City Thunder beating the Memphis Grizzlies by 6 points in overtime, I told my roommate that I would "finish a beer by the end of every overtime".  We had done something similar during the epic six overtime game between Connecticut and Syracuse a couple years earlier, when the two of us and a couple other friends finished a game of beer pong during every overtime.

Given how ridiculous this series has been, I should have known better.  Thanks to a last second three pointer by Greivis Vasquez (who seemed to be throwing up a junk shot in hope of drawing a foul and getting 3 free throws), the Grizzlies were able to take the game into a second overtime period.  Nobody took control of overtime number 2, but fortunately the Thunder were able to finish it off and save my liver in the third overtime.


And on a side note, I absolutely called Vasquez taking that shot after Mike Conley and O.J. Mayo fouled out.

But anyway, my beer of choice last night was Bell's Oberon.  I didn't really start getting into the craft scene until August of this year when my roommate turned 21, so I missed my shot at Oberon last year.  But thanks to a well-placed ad (that will be the topic of a future article), I tried some at a local bar and loved it.  I threw one into a mixed six pack while I was at Woodman's, and my dad decided to get me a couple of six packs of it for my birthday.

While a lot of "beer snobs" don't like it because...well...they're hipsters and love to hate what's popular I guess, I think it's great.  (On that hipster comment: a lot of people I've talked to who don't like it cite "the fact that 'commoners' like it" as a main reason they're not big on it.)  I've had other beers that tried to mix traditional wheat beers with hops, but in my opinion they tend to make it all about the hops.  This one has a great balance of the two, and it's a good beer for almost any occasion.  It's a "lawnmower beer" that tastes good enough to be consumed one or two at a time.

In terms of overall quality, it's not as complex as a lot of others, but I don't really care.  It's a versatile beer that I think tastes absolutely great.  I give it an A.

Oberon on Beer Advocate
Oberon on RateBeer
Oberon on bellsbeer.com (it should be the first one that shows up)

No comments:

Post a Comment