Sunday, April 3, 2011

Best...Beer...EVER!

I know I'm going to regret this, but what the hell.

Tonight I got back from working the Milwaukee Bucks game feeling pretty exhausted.  It was already past eleven when I got back, and I had nothing in my stomach.  This wasn't a night meant for drinking a ton.  So I had a beer and hung out watching Dexter with the roommates.

Now it's time for another.  I really thought about going for a St. Bernardus White: it was originally meant to celebrate a Milwaukee Panther Horizon League Championship before Butler f**ked that up, then it was meant for VCU winning a national title before Butler f**ked that up.  I'm convinced that if I make it for a Butler national championship (hey, I'm pissed that they beat us, but you bet I'll be cheering for them over a cheat like Calhoun), the Bulldogs will f**k that up too.

But eventually, I decided to go in a completely different direction.  That same night that I was hoping to drink the St. Bernardus White, I bought a ridiculous amount of PBR for the potential celebration.  I brought it over to a buddy's house before the game, and he insisted that we do a shotgun together.  He didn't have any cans, so he offered a trade: one PBR for one Miller High Life.

I hate Miller High Life, but in the spirit of having a good time I made the trade anyway.  So now I have a bottle of it in my fridge.  What better way to dispose of it than to review it in a blog post?

I'm sorry, this has been basically my least favorite beer even before I started drinking the pricier stuff, so I'm not going to dignify it with a glass.

The aroma is...faint.  The taste follows the smell, and a trail of carbonation heads down toward my gut.  Wonderful.

Basically, my take on High Life is that it tries to be a "classy" beer and a "get drunk" beer at the same time.  That's not a good idea.  Basically, it's a more expensive, more carbonated version of Miller Lite.  I wouldn't call it much of a step up, as adding carbonation without adding much (if any) flavor doesn't automatically make a beer good.

If you're going to "splurge" on something more than the cheap stuff, I definitely wouldn't bother with this.  Fortunately it's not in my fridge anymore.  If I were to grade it in a taste test it'd probably be higher, but when taking price into account it winds up being a more expensive, worse version of Miller Lite I give it an F. 

No comments:

Post a Comment