Sunday, June 2, 2013

Brewday Beer Review

Yeah, about that...I'll upload ASAP
Well, so much for brewing yesterday. Life (and bottling my chocolate oatmeal stout that I'm told "tastes like a cookie") got in the way and I had to hold off until tonight

While I brew, I'm altering a common homebrewer mantra slightly in order to give my girlfriend a chance to try a brew that I got from a friend out east.

I'm relaxing, I'm not worrying, and I'm having a [commercial] brew. Tonight, I'm starting off with a Lancaster Milk Stout.

The pour yielded a thin, light brown head that dissipated pretty quickly, but left decent lacing on the glass. The color was dark, dark brown with just a thin layer of read along the bottom edge of the glass. The flavor comes through quite a bit more to me than the aroma, with a noticeable coffee flavor and a less distinct chocolate flavor that combine to create what I initially thought tasted like black licorice. I didn't notice any offputting flavors.

One problem that I had with this beer was that for a Milk Stout, it was a bit light on the lactose. Coffee was definitely the prevailing flavor. While I'm not one of the people who downgrades a beer as if I'm grading in a competition, I prefer Milk Stouts to Coffee Stouts, so I was a bit disappointed by that.

While my girlfriend thinks this brew tops Left Hand's non-Nitro Milk Stout, I think she's crazy. I do think it's a solid offering--I give it a B.

Ratebeer's take on Lancaster Milk Stout
Lancaster Milk Stout on Untappd
The beer according to its brewers

Have you had Lancaster Milk Stout? Do you agree with my take? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment