Saturday, December 17, 2011

'Tis the Season

It's December, you know what that means: time for Christmas music, Ugly Sweaters and rich, dark Porters and Stouts West Coast Amber Ales?

I might be alone on this one, but while most in the craft beer community are shifting from Pumpkin beers and Oktoberfests into darker beers, colder temperatures have had me craving Hops far more than normal.  It probably has something to do with a great brew out of California a couple weeks ago after randomly picking it up at my local Craft Beer go-to, but that story is for another night.

Tonight I'm going to talk about a beer that comes from a little closer to home: Ambergeddon, brewed by Ale Asylum right here in my hometown of Madison, Wisconsin.

I first had an Ambergeddon back in October of last year when I was just getting into craft beer, and it might've been a little more intense than I was ready for at the moment.  The second time I had it was over the summer at Vintage Spirits & Grill.  Vintage has the absolute best deal on beer in Madison: 1 dollar Wisconsin brews after 10 on Monday nights.  In addition to a constant supply of Ambergeddon, they typically had at least one offering from Furthermore, another brewery in the Madison Area that has put out a lot of interesting brews.

Anyway, Ale Asylum is a brewery that's really taking off in the Madison area.  It's a mainstay at a number of downtown locations in the city, though it hasn't really managed to expand too far beyond city limits.

This beer has  really hit the spot for me lately.  It's got the right amount of hops and alcohol that doesn't overwhelm.  Right now, I'm definitely giving it a solid A.

Beer Advocate's take on Ambergeddon (it got a B in their new rating system? huh...SHOCKER)
RateBeer's take on Ambergeddon

Have you had Ambergeddon? Do you agree with my take? Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment